Warehouse Management System (WMS) is a program that allows automating warehouse processes. The system solves various tasks related to warehouse accounting, helping to eliminate human errors and organize the work of the warehouse. WMS is used in medium and large warehouses with a large number of goods and/or constant movement of goods. The warehouse management system can be developed taking into account the customer's requirements, used as a ready-made program on the company's servers or in the cloud.
The warehouse management system participates in a number of processes, among which it is possible to distinguish:
- Receipt, picking, and shipping of goods;
- Inventory of the warehouse;
- Formation of warehouse documentation;
- Organization of warehouse staff work;
- Inventory management;
- Tracking the movement of goods;
- Determination of the location of goods in the warehouse.
As can be seen from the list, WMS affects all main warehouse operations, optimizing them and helping warehouse personnel. The implementation of a warehouse management system helps to speed up work processes. WMS takes on the routine tasks of warehouse workers, freeing up their time for other tasks. At the same time, the system eliminates the human factor, minimizing the risk of errors. All processes are collected in a single interface, which helps to comfortably manage the warehouse. Actions in the warehouse are recorded in real-time and allow controlling the work situation. In addition, the implementation of WMS has a number of other advantages:
- Increased throughput of the warehouse - with WMS, the turnover of goods is not limited by human resources, as the program performs the main part of the duties;
- Flexibility of configuration - the company can configure its custom warehouse processes and supply chains in WMS;
- Improved work efficiency - process automation will make warehouse work faster and increase its productivity;
- High quality of customer service - a decrease in the number of errors at work, as well as quick resolution of work issues, will make warehouse counterparties more loyal;
- Analytics of warehouse work - WMS collects various statistical indicators that will help control warehouse work and make managerial decisions;
- Cost reduction - optimizing warehouse work will lead to a reduction in operating costs.